Regional Trade Agreements and Future Perspectives of Multilateral Trading System
4-5-6 March 2015, Geneva
The purpose of the very workshop is to further deepen knowledge of the participants on WTO-related matters, enhance understanding of all aspects and rules of the WTO, strengthen regional capacity and human capital in order to better benefit from and more actively participate in the multilateral trading system.
This course is intended for GBS partner universities and agencies willing to enhance their knowledge on the WTO, negotiations concerning WTO accession and regional trade agreements, trade policy and multilateral trading system.
The representatives of the following countries (Albania, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, FYR Macedonia, Georgia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Montenegro, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan) are invited to participate at the above-mentioned regional workshop.
The course is organised at the GBS, located at a 5 minute walk away from the WTO headquarters and close to a variety of international organisations. The program also includes several visits (on the second part of the day) to the WTO and to other related Geneva-bases key international economic organisations (e.g. UNCTAD, UNECE, ITC, WIPO, etc.).
- Enhancing the understanding of the WTO and multilateral trading system
- Exploring WTO Agreements and their implications
- Strengthening knowledge about the standards, competition and intellectual property
- Elaborating on WTO accession process, advantages and challenges
- Making recommendations on trade policy and trade remedies
- Harnessing trade facilitation, data harmonization and single window
- Reviewing WTO technical assistance opportunities
- Building capacity and developing human capital on WTO-related matters
- Familiarizing about the WTO negotiations
- Introducing different WTO negotiation strategies and tactics through simulation exercises
- Elucidating regional trade agreements and preferential trade arrangements
- Sharing country experiences and best practices of recently acceded WTO members, as well as WTO observers
All speakers have an extensive and active experience with the WTO, the international trade policy, the accession negotiations, regional trade agreements, the WTO agreements, etc. and will share their knowledge, experience and best practises in the most attractive and lively way with the participants.
Day ONE: Trade Policy, Trade Liberalization, Trade Openness, Sustainable Development (afternoon: visit to the WTO)
(Globalization, Interdependence and Multilateral Trading System)
Day TWO: Introduction to WTO, WTO Accession, WTO membership (afternoon: visit to the UNCTAD)
(Advantages and Challenges of WTO Membership, Trade Openness and Trade Facilitation, Regional Trade Agreements, Free Trade Agreements, Generalized System of Preferences)
Day THREE: Agriculture, Services, Aid for Trade, Technical Assistance, Export Promotion (afternoon: visit to the ITC)
(WTO Agreement on Agriculture, Sensitive Products, Aid for Trade and Trade-Related Technical Assistance; Export Promotion, Export Strategy, Export-Led Growth)
The regional workshop will be delivered in English.
4-5-6 March 2015
Geneva; Geneva Business School, Address: Avenue Blanc 53, 1202 Geneva.
Upon early enrolment – 2 months before starting date – GBS offers a 10% discount.
If you are accompanied by another person from the same organisation, each additional person can take advantage of a 10% discount as well.
Upon request, GBS can recommend accommodation.
Nearest hotel to venue:
Diploma signed by the Dean of the GBS will be delivered to all participants of the regional workshop.
As the number of places is limited, please book as early as you can.
Pre-payment previous to the regional workshop is compulsory. Any cancellation or postponement, less than 7 working days before the start of the program, shall not be reimbursed.